Most of the world’s best didn't get to the top by luck. It took many years of hard work, preparation, and sacrifice. Here are a few tips to help you reach the top, whatever your next challenge may be.
1. Do frequent mental dress rehearsals: Whether you've already done the course, given the presentation, or pursued this dream before, frequently envision yourself achieving your goals and how you want to perform at each phase. Include breathing techniques, cue words, and a plan to help you stay positive for each step of the way. Doing this will create a "been there done that" attitude and atmosphere, so when the day comes, you'll be ahead of the game.
2. Have a Plan B. Or even a Plan C: Preparation should include planning for what you expect to happen as well as things you might not expect. Embracing adversity as opportunities for growth and planning for the unexpected will help you feel prepared no matter what happens.
3. Keep track of your goals: Have long term goals that are your motivators. Set training goals to help you achieve your objective, make the process smoother, and give you direction. Stay process oriented while keeping your overall objective in mind. It's okay to shoot for the stars! But you can only reach the stars by putting in the work each day. Evaluate after each week of training and be prepared to make adjustments. Goals should adapt as you keep improving.
4. The right self-talk is key: How you talk to yourself plays an important role in how you'll perform. Negative inner dialogue is normal and will happen, so rephrase it to something more positive and helpful. Develop a thought stopping cue and start a self-talk log to prepare for how you'll combat negative language when it happens.
5. Have fun! Remember why you're there, because you love what you do! If or when your training gets old and tiring, remember why you’re there and bring back the fun! Listen to your favorite songs, wear a fun outfit one day, start or join a training group you love to be with. Whatever it is, make sure it works for you!!
Katie (McKee) Lovallo
Hey! I'm Katie, and I specialize in Mental Performance. I believe greatly in mindset and the role it plays in life.